Nadi Shodhan Pranayama
Right nostril is Pingala Nadi(Sun principle or body), left nostril represents Ida nadi (moon principle or mind). In alternate nostril breathing, one inhales through right and exhales through left then inhales through left and exhales through right nostril. This purifies the Ida and Pingala nadis. This purification brings balance to body and mind. The metabolic processes are balanced. . The breathing technique is named Nadi Shodhan, as it helps clear out blocked energy channels in the body, which in turn calms the mind. It is also known as Anulom Vilom pranayama.
- Sit comfortably with your spine erect and shoulders relaxed. Keep a gentle smile on your face.
- Place the tip of the index finger and middle finger on the base of the thumb , the ring finger on the left nostril, and the thumb on the right nostril. We will use the ring finger to open or close the left nostril and thumb for the right nostril.
- Press your thumb down on the right nostril and breathe out gently through the left nostril.
- Now breathe in from the left nostril and then press the left nostril gently with the ring finger. Removing the right thumb from the right nostril, breathe out from the right.
- Breathe in from the right nostril and exhale from the left. You have now completed one round of Nadi Shodhan pranayama. Continue inhaling and exhaling from alternate nostrils.
- Complete 9 such rounds by alternately breathing through both the nostrils. After every exhalation, remember to breathe in from the same nostril from which you exhaled. Keep your eyes closed throughout and continue taking long, deep, smooth breaths without any force or effort.
- Focus on breathe let your mind not go any where.
Note:- Inhale in 4 seconds and exhale in 6 seconds. you can increase this by 5 :10. Your exhalation should be longer than inhalation.
- Excellent breathing technique to calm and center the mind.
- It improves boold circulation and remove toxic from the blood.
- Heart problem can be cured.
- Maintains body temperature.
- Our mind has a tendency to keep regretting or glorifying the past and getting anxious about the future.
- Releases accumulated stress in the mind and body effectively and helps relax.
- Helps harmonize the left and right hemispheres of the brain, which correlate to the logical and emotional sides of our personality.
- Balancing Ida and Pingala removes all the blockages in the pranic energy channels, which may lead to spiritual awakenings.
- Do not practice it after having food. Wait for at least 4 hour.
- If you feel little bit of discomfort then you can reduce the ratio of breathing.
- Under No circumstances the proportion of the breathing should be forced.
- People who have undergone abdominal surgeries, heart surgeries, brain surgeries should consult the medical expert or consultant.
- Please do not rush to increase the proportions, as it will not help, but trying to practice easy ratio (4:6 seconds) for little more time may help.